Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After a fire on your Houston property has been extinguished, you might be confused about what steps to take next. Our SERVPRO of Kingwood & Humble team wants to be there to help you with all your cleanup and restoration needs, but while you wait for our crew to arrive at your property, there are a few do's and don'ts to consider. These steps help give more insight into what might be necessary to consider following a fire.
If you have any questions or are in need of emergency fire cleanup services, don't hesitate and give us a call today!
Take a minute to review our Fire Damage Tips down below to be better prepared in the event of a fire!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (281) 219-8180
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.